Skip to main content

I did all this for posterity...

Alright, here's the first half of the 500 word personal history that I wrote while racing James in finishing his Duty To God assignment. I think it's amusing at least! For the second half, you'll have to go to the CreativeXpress community and look under blogs.

"I was born on April 17, 1985. I am the oldest child of Karen Denning and Lonnie Dale Cox. I honestly don’t remember too much of my childhood, I suspect I have some repressed memories. I have been told, however, that I was a rather intense child. I liked to be in the middle of everything and if there wasn’t something going on I created a fiasco to entertain myself. I never did like to be alone or play by myself – that hasn’t changed much over the years. I remember spending time at the Tessems house during the day. I always felt like a part of their family and learned many important things during the years they babysat me. I remember playing GI Joes with Scott and Troy – I was the caregiver to all the infants in the GI Joe nursery, which consisted of the heads the boys had blown off of their guys during mortal combat. I also remember starting kindergarten while I was at their house. Tiffany and Lance Feher came to be babysat by Sister Tessem as well and they added a great deal of fun and adventure to my time with the Tessems. We had good times building forts under the desk in the kitchen, listening to stories on cassette tapes and playing outside. Tiffany and I also took opportunity to hone our arson skills. Most days when playing outside we would create ‘special potions’ in the empty film canisters Sister Tessem would give us to play with. One day, Tiffany brought a pack of matches and I went into the bathroom and filled my jacket pockets with toilet paper. We got a pretty good little bonfire going there by the front corner of the garage. We tried to boil some of our ‘special potions’ in the flames, but it burned out too quickly – plus it was approaching time to go to school. It was Sister Tessem’s turn to drive carpool so the other kids in the neighborhood started showing up. I had hidden the large black soot mark on the concrete driveway with my backpack so I wouldn’t get caught. Tiffany and I showed the mark to a friend in the neighborhood as we were getting ready to go to school. As soon as I had taken my backpack off of the ground and gotten into the car, Sister Tessem noticed the burn mark and asked what had happened. Kenna (some friend) immediately spilled the beans that we had built a toilet paper fire there. Needless to say, we got burned! That was one of the last times I was babysat by the Tessem family. I am positive that there are still ‘special potions’ hidden in the rock wall along the street in front of the Tessem’s home. "

Comments

Baby Sister said…
Lol. You forgot the most important time in your life...when I came into your life :D Lol...you're cute.
Must-Ash said…
LoL...Yeah. You really haven't changed that much.
Matt said…
Such fun memories! It's amazing what kids will come up with to keep themselves entertained. Doesn't it make you wonder what kinds of things our kids will get into?
Tiff said…
oh my gosh I was giggling the whole time I read that. I love that it is the first story you tell. I was a pretty defining moment, huh? :)
Tiff said…
PS. You forgot to tell how we almost blew up the car next to our bonfire.
Jessica said…
LOL, that's hilarious! I have got to ask LaVon about that--right after I check the wall for remnants of those secret potions. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in November

A lot of friends have been talking about how much they hate Christmas creeping into (or completely taking over) November. So I started thinking about the issue - because apparently it's a big one and obviously something I should be thinking about, right? I think Thanksgiving suffers from severe middle-child syndrome. Halloween comes first and is a little bit crazy but well recognized, highly celebrated and ridiculously loved. Then there's Christmas, the ever impatient youngest child who can't wait their turn...ever. Plus Christmas is the 'favorite' child - it's loved, celebrated, commercialized, overpriced and way over represented. And Thanksgiving just sits back and gets run over by these two crazy holidays on either side of it. It never complains when people forget it or when international businesses schedule important meetings that day (ugh...speaking from experience on that). Thanksgiving doesn't mind giving the lime light to the other two. Why? Becaus

Battle of The Bands

On my right is my boss - blasting classical Christmas music. On my left is my co-worker - blasting oldies in an effort to drown out the classical Christmas music. Then there's me - plugged into Pandora, listening to Adele "Someone Like You". And not only is the music blasting - but randomly, my co-worker starts singing along to her oldies station so my boss starts humming Christmas tunes really loudly. I sorta feel obligated to unplug my iPod and start singing out loud too. Too bad our other co-worker isn't here to blast and sing along to her Spanish tunes. That would be the icing on the cake.

The First Two Weeks

Monday: I love school. Tuesday: Just hang in there, it will be worth it in the end. Wednesday: I don't love school anymore. Thursday: I must be crazy to be doing this. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die. Find a happy place. Move to happy place and forget school. Friday: Ooh - it's Friday! No classes. That's a happy place. Sunday: Last week wasn't SO bad. I can do this. I love school. Yep. That about sums it up.