Skip to main content

I Hope They Call Me on a Mission

Recently, a good friend posted about the mission and it got me thinking about my mission and what it means to me. It has been a great chance to reflect - especially since the years after the mission keep flying by and I notice that, slowly, the evidences of my mission have started to fade into the background of my all-too-busy life. So, this post is really to remind myself what the mission means to me - but thanks for reading along with me. :) I cannot possibly post all of my reflections here because, as Elder Holland says frequently, "My mission meant EVERYTHING to me!". I pretty much feel the same way. But here are a few (or quite a few) of the ways that the mission means everything to me:

- It means I set the alarm for 7:00...and I'm grateful for that extra 30 minutes.
- It means I have a greater appreciation for being able to do whatever I want, all by myself!
- It means I recognize how awesome it is that I don't have to wear nylons (or a dress) everywhere I go.
- It means I am overwhelmingly grateful on cold winter days that I am inside, sipping hot cocoa instead of knocking doors.
- It means I know how to set a goal, write it down, and make it happen.
- It means I know how to plan my days, hour by hour, to make sure I am using my time wisely.
- It means I am better at studying - the scriptures and for school.
- It means I have marginally mastered the Spanish language - or at least the missionary appropriate vocabulary.
- It means I have a greater cultural awareness and deep love for Latino's and people around the world (and Cheesesteaks...and Rita's Waterice...and Tastykakes...and Pesto Pizza).
- It means I have greater empathy for the struggles others face and greater respect for the challenges they conquer.
- It means I have a greater understanding, love and reverence for the Prophet Joseph.
- It means I understand why The Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion and I am intimately acquainted with the power of it's pages.
- It means I have a testimony of fasting, prayer and the power of unity.
- It means I understand and love the Plan of Salvation.
- It means I recognize my need for the Sacrament and temple attendance to frequently renew the covenants I have made.
- And above all, it means that I know and love my Savior; that I am extraordinarily grateful for His magnificent Atonement and that I recognize my absolute dependence on Him to be cleansed, sanctified and one day exalted.

This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what my mission means to me, but I am so grateful that, in spite of my weaknesses and imperfections, The Lord did call me on a mission.

Comments

Baby Sister said…
Isn't it great what a mission can do? :) I will be forever grateful for mine.
Jessica said…
Ah, you make me jealous!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in November

A lot of friends have been talking about how much they hate Christmas creeping into (or completely taking over) November. So I started thinking about the issue - because apparently it's a big one and obviously something I should be thinking about, right? I think Thanksgiving suffers from severe middle-child syndrome. Halloween comes first and is a little bit crazy but well recognized, highly celebrated and ridiculously loved. Then there's Christmas, the ever impatient youngest child who can't wait their turn...ever. Plus Christmas is the 'favorite' child - it's loved, celebrated, commercialized, overpriced and way over represented. And Thanksgiving just sits back and gets run over by these two crazy holidays on either side of it. It never complains when people forget it or when international businesses schedule important meetings that day (ugh...speaking from experience on that). Thanksgiving doesn't mind giving the lime light to the other two. Why? Becaus

Battle of The Bands

On my right is my boss - blasting classical Christmas music. On my left is my co-worker - blasting oldies in an effort to drown out the classical Christmas music. Then there's me - plugged into Pandora, listening to Adele "Someone Like You". And not only is the music blasting - but randomly, my co-worker starts singing along to her oldies station so my boss starts humming Christmas tunes really loudly. I sorta feel obligated to unplug my iPod and start singing out loud too. Too bad our other co-worker isn't here to blast and sing along to her Spanish tunes. That would be the icing on the cake.

The First Two Weeks

Monday: I love school. Tuesday: Just hang in there, it will be worth it in the end. Wednesday: I don't love school anymore. Thursday: I must be crazy to be doing this. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die. Find a happy place. Move to happy place and forget school. Friday: Ooh - it's Friday! No classes. That's a happy place. Sunday: Last week wasn't SO bad. I can do this. I love school. Yep. That about sums it up.