Skip to main content

Pop! Goes the Tire!

So, last night I thought I was awesome. I was driving on I-15. I was heading to Provo to pick up my visiting teaching companion and be an awesome visiting teacher. I was almost late but had just enough time to be only fashionably late. Thinking I was awesome was my first mistake. Taking I-15 in the middle of road construction was my second.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I hit a crater in the middle of the road. Thankfully it was less eventful than in the movies - and though my teeth chattered and my hair went whipping with the force of impact, my car came out of the crater in one piece and did not launch itself violently into the other lanes of traffic. But, shortly thereafter, my poor little car started hobbling along like a broken old man. It wobbled and lurched and sputtered and shook violently.

I was conveniently located a good distance from the next exit, so in keeping with the spirit of a broken old man, I pulled into the right lane and drove 20 MPH with my flashers on. If you were stuck behind a moron going 20 on the freeway at approximately 8:36 pm last night - yeah, that was me. We hobbled our way to the exit and pulled into the gas station where I realized that the passengers side door seemed significantly further off the ground than my own door. I called my Mom who wrangled my Dad into the car and they came heroically to my aid - in the middle of my Mom's favorite TV shows, in the middle of the night, in the middle of the freezing weather.

I stood helplessly as I watched my 50-some-odd-year-old parents change my tire. At one point, my Mom even lifted the car by herself. Sure, I stood by her and tried to lift, but I'm pretty sure the only person doing anything was her. Maybe it was just her motherly instinct, but after last night, I am thoroughly convinced that my Mom and Dad are really superheroes masquerading as my parents. And, after all these years of struggling and fighting to be 'independent', I finally realize just how truly dependent I am on them. Thanks Mom and Dad for always coming to my rescue. And thanks for being mine!

Comments

Jessica said…
Aw, awesome parents! It's sad how sorely we take them for granted when we live with them. It's not until we leave and find out how much we need them that we begin to realize how much they love us and everything they do for us! I'm pretty sure my parents are part of that parent super league too. ;)
-M- said…
You have wonderful parents! I love them!!! Remember that one time when that guy changed your tire in your froggy car in the parking lot of Western Watts? :)
Baby Sister said…
It's true, your parents are amazing. :) I'm glad they helped you...that is no fun!!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in November

A lot of friends have been talking about how much they hate Christmas creeping into (or completely taking over) November. So I started thinking about the issue - because apparently it's a big one and obviously something I should be thinking about, right? I think Thanksgiving suffers from severe middle-child syndrome. Halloween comes first and is a little bit crazy but well recognized, highly celebrated and ridiculously loved. Then there's Christmas, the ever impatient youngest child who can't wait their turn...ever. Plus Christmas is the 'favorite' child - it's loved, celebrated, commercialized, overpriced and way over represented. And Thanksgiving just sits back and gets run over by these two crazy holidays on either side of it. It never complains when people forget it or when international businesses schedule important meetings that day (ugh...speaking from experience on that). Thanksgiving doesn't mind giving the lime light to the other two. Why? Becaus

Battle of The Bands

On my right is my boss - blasting classical Christmas music. On my left is my co-worker - blasting oldies in an effort to drown out the classical Christmas music. Then there's me - plugged into Pandora, listening to Adele "Someone Like You". And not only is the music blasting - but randomly, my co-worker starts singing along to her oldies station so my boss starts humming Christmas tunes really loudly. I sorta feel obligated to unplug my iPod and start singing out loud too. Too bad our other co-worker isn't here to blast and sing along to her Spanish tunes. That would be the icing on the cake.

The First Two Weeks

Monday: I love school. Tuesday: Just hang in there, it will be worth it in the end. Wednesday: I don't love school anymore. Thursday: I must be crazy to be doing this. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die. Find a happy place. Move to happy place and forget school. Friday: Ooh - it's Friday! No classes. That's a happy place. Sunday: Last week wasn't SO bad. I can do this. I love school. Yep. That about sums it up.