Skip to main content

Wordplay

YAY! I thought you had abandoned me for higher mental pursuits. Thanks for the laugh - I don't remember many of my embarrassing moments so I have to live vicariously through yours...obviously that means the inside of my head is teeming with repressed memories, I tend to embarrass myself often. But when I read all of your falling stories, I thought of the funniest time on the mission.

I have to describe the setting first: Allentown; the Turner Street apartment. Did you ever serve there? Well, for dramatic effect I will describe it anyway. There are three apartments in the Turner Street Row home...We were in the second floor apartment, meaning there was a long wooden staircase going up to the door of our apartment. I was serving with Katie Sano and we were a little spicy together - we burned each other on a regular basis. One morning we were slinging less than compliments at each other as we walked out the door. I paused on the landing while Katie locked the door and said something totally sarcastic like "you're probably going to push me down the stairs" and abruptly turned around to go down the stairs. Well, I did go DOWN the stairs, just not with my feet. I slipped on the first stair and slid down all 465 stairs like a little kid in a laundry basket - only without the laundry basket. Katie ran past me as soon as I cruppled at the bottom and the first thing she said, through hysterical fits of laughter, was "That was hilarious! Can you do it again so I can get it on camera?!"

It was pretty funny...except I had the biggest freaking bruise I have ever seen on my hip. (Katie has pictures - she hasn't given them to me yet, or maybe she is holding them hostage for future blackmail purposes.) The bruise wasn't purple and green and blue like normal bruises - it was solid black and oh baby, it hurt! I couldn't sit down without pain for a month after that! But you know what they say: The bigger they are, the harder they fall. :)

Okay, now on to the powerful words section of this work of literature. I was watching Harry Potter with the fam last week and something Dumbledore says really made me think. He says, "Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy".
I think the reason it impacted me so much is that in the scriptures and at Conference the brethren teach us to choose between good and evil, right and wrong. But through all the talks and lessons, somehow I hadn't necessarily thought of 'easy' being in the 'wrong' category. It is so true though - what is easy is usually in opposition to what is right. But then doing what is right was never meant to be easy. Insert the quotes from Elder Holland running through my mind and the scripture that just came to mind...needless to say, I could go on, but I will stop there.


(I'll be back tomorrow with a deep, or not so deep, query for you...but I'm out of time now.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in November

A lot of friends have been talking about how much they hate Christmas creeping into (or completely taking over) November. So I started thinking about the issue - because apparently it's a big one and obviously something I should be thinking about, right? I think Thanksgiving suffers from severe middle-child syndrome. Halloween comes first and is a little bit crazy but well recognized, highly celebrated and ridiculously loved. Then there's Christmas, the ever impatient youngest child who can't wait their turn...ever. Plus Christmas is the 'favorite' child - it's loved, celebrated, commercialized, overpriced and way over represented. And Thanksgiving just sits back and gets run over by these two crazy holidays on either side of it. It never complains when people forget it or when international businesses schedule important meetings that day (ugh...speaking from experience on that). Thanksgiving doesn't mind giving the lime light to the other two. Why? Becaus

Battle of The Bands

On my right is my boss - blasting classical Christmas music. On my left is my co-worker - blasting oldies in an effort to drown out the classical Christmas music. Then there's me - plugged into Pandora, listening to Adele "Someone Like You". And not only is the music blasting - but randomly, my co-worker starts singing along to her oldies station so my boss starts humming Christmas tunes really loudly. I sorta feel obligated to unplug my iPod and start singing out loud too. Too bad our other co-worker isn't here to blast and sing along to her Spanish tunes. That would be the icing on the cake.

The First Two Weeks

Monday: I love school. Tuesday: Just hang in there, it will be worth it in the end. Wednesday: I don't love school anymore. Thursday: I must be crazy to be doing this. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die. Find a happy place. Move to happy place and forget school. Friday: Ooh - it's Friday! No classes. That's a happy place. Sunday: Last week wasn't SO bad. I can do this. I love school. Yep. That about sums it up.