Skip to main content

"I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."

Okay, so I have this coworker...(we shall refer to her throughout this post as: Nameless) who has a knack for bad luck. I just have to share some of her most recent quandaries.

Our company sent a bunch of us to A.C. Moore stores all across the East Coast the weekend before Christmas to demo the Cricut Expression Machine (If you don't know what that is...repent! But I'm warning you if you find out what it is...you'll be addicted too!). Anyway, our flight schedule was supposed to go as follows:

Friday Morning - Fly to destination
Saturday - Demo machine
Sunday - Fly home

Well, Nameless got on her flight Friday morning. She demonstrated her machine on Saturday. She got ready to go to the airport Sunday...that's when the call came - "We're sorry to inform you that your flight has been canceled and the soonest available flight is Tuesday, December 23rd." Poor Nameless doesn't own a credit card, so she had to put all the extra hotel and car rental charges on her debit card...with no money left in her bank account and no freaking idea where she was, she spent the hours watching reruns of I love Lucy in her overheated hotel room - okay, so I'm not so sure about that...but I do know that she had done absolutely NO Christmas shopping before leaving on Friday and now that she had NO money left in her bank account could not even go Christmas shopping while stranded in NY!!

Tuesday the 23rd:
Nameless arises earlier than usual, throws her used linens in a heap on the hard hotel matress and grabs her bags to head to the airport and find her way back to civilization in UTAH! Once at the airport she approached the ticketing desk with a hopeful spring in her step..."We're sorry. All flights to Utah have been canceled until December 31st. You might want to call your hotel and make sure you still have a reservation." ... the hotel never got a call. But the head of the HR department surely did! And then the travel agency got a call! And 24 hours later...Nameless boarded a plane to somewhere that connected to a plane to somewhere else that flew to an airport where a plane was waiting to take Nameless back to SLC...Estimated arrival time: 8:00 pm Christmas Eve.

With her feet finally on good old Utah soil, she drove back to her apartment only to find she had been robbed.

The next week she had much better luck. She was getting ready for the epic trek to the office, got into her car, pushed the little button for the garage door to go up....pushed the littled button for the garage door to go UP...it didn't go up. She frantically called her boyfriend, who graciously came to the rescue. While braving the roads in the snow and ice, they had stopped at a red light when an occupied mother telling her children to 'stop it or I'll come back there!' smashed into the back of their truck going 40 MPH. Nameless found herself in the emergency room for whiplash thanks to that caring mother.

Oh, but it gets better...Nameless parked on the street in front of her house the next Friday. 45 minutes later, she came out and found that some loving person had imprinted their fourwheeler on her car - only causing $2,700 in damages!

Phew...I'm exhausted and depressed just telling the story! Nameless' theme song for 2009 is from Hee-Haws: "If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!"

Comments

Jessica said…
That's sooo depressing! Poor girl!

Okay, two questions for you--how did you come up w/ your cute banner for your blog? And do you own a cricut??
Jessica said…
Ha ha, I just thought you should know that your Google Ad at the top of your blog is advertising exotic bikinis. Nice. ;)
Wow! That poor girl!! What a fun way to spend your holidays. =P
Tiff said…
Is that even a true story? That is absolutely nuts!
Baby Sister said…
Ummm...wow. That really bites. Makes me grateful for my "bad luck" that I have!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in November

A lot of friends have been talking about how much they hate Christmas creeping into (or completely taking over) November. So I started thinking about the issue - because apparently it's a big one and obviously something I should be thinking about, right? I think Thanksgiving suffers from severe middle-child syndrome. Halloween comes first and is a little bit crazy but well recognized, highly celebrated and ridiculously loved. Then there's Christmas, the ever impatient youngest child who can't wait their turn...ever. Plus Christmas is the 'favorite' child - it's loved, celebrated, commercialized, overpriced and way over represented. And Thanksgiving just sits back and gets run over by these two crazy holidays on either side of it. It never complains when people forget it or when international businesses schedule important meetings that day (ugh...speaking from experience on that). Thanksgiving doesn't mind giving the lime light to the other two. Why? Becaus

Battle of The Bands

On my right is my boss - blasting classical Christmas music. On my left is my co-worker - blasting oldies in an effort to drown out the classical Christmas music. Then there's me - plugged into Pandora, listening to Adele "Someone Like You". And not only is the music blasting - but randomly, my co-worker starts singing along to her oldies station so my boss starts humming Christmas tunes really loudly. I sorta feel obligated to unplug my iPod and start singing out loud too. Too bad our other co-worker isn't here to blast and sing along to her Spanish tunes. That would be the icing on the cake.

The First Two Weeks

Monday: I love school. Tuesday: Just hang in there, it will be worth it in the end. Wednesday: I don't love school anymore. Thursday: I must be crazy to be doing this. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die. Find a happy place. Move to happy place and forget school. Friday: Ooh - it's Friday! No classes. That's a happy place. Sunday: Last week wasn't SO bad. I can do this. I love school. Yep. That about sums it up.