Skip to main content

Life is Fragile

Two weeks ago our family was reminded just how fragile life is. My cousin passed away very unexpectedly from a brain aneurysm. He was only 34 years old and left behind his wife and their 5 young children. Not to mention leaving a grieving mother, father, sisters and countless family members and friends whose lives have been changed by the wonderful man that he was. It was very much a tragedy.
As we attended his funeral and as I had conversations with family members, I was reminded of a few beautiful, simple truths for which I am extremely grateful.

God lives. He is our loving Father in Heaven. He has a plan - a perfect plan. And though we may not understand it at times, it is still perfect. When He calls us to pass through trials such as this, we most certainly are not alone. Because of the Atonement of our Savior, families truly can be together forever. Death cannot rob us of the promised blessings of the saving ordinances of The Gospel - especially the bond of a temple sealing.

How grateful I am for those precious truths and so many others. How grateful I am that because of the Gospel, Marks widow could stand and bear testimony of The Savior and express faith and courage in the face of such a horrible, life-shattering tragedy. How grateful I am for the opportunity to learn from Mark's example and try to be more like him, in an effort, ultimately, to be more like The Savior.

Comments

Baby Sister said…
Oh wow. I am so sorry Kriss. Deaths always make me grateful for the knowledge we have as well. It somehow makes it a little bit easier.
Jessica said…
How awful. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

And amen and amen. Beautifully written.
I am so sorry! That is so sad! It's things like this that make me so grateful we believe in eternal families!

Popular posts from this blog

The First Two Weeks

Monday: I love school. Tuesday: Just hang in there, it will be worth it in the end. Wednesday: I don't love school anymore. Thursday: I must be crazy to be doing this. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die. Find a happy place. Move to happy place and forget school. Friday: Ooh - it's Friday! No classes. That's a happy place. Sunday: Last week wasn't SO bad. I can do this. I love school. Yep. That about sums it up.

Suprise! I'm Getting Married!

Stories are great. And everyone seems especially interested in this one. So, here it is. We were supposed to go to the gym Tuesday for lunch. But I got a text 20 minutes before he showed up saying he wanted to talk instead. Immediately my stomach sunk. I just knew he was going to break up with me or something horrible like that. Well, he picked me up and we started driving - I had no idea where we were going until we turned up the road by the Timpanogos temple. Then I thought - 'There are only two reasons we would be going to the temple. 1) He is going to propose or 2) He is going to break up with me and knows I can't kill him if he does it on temple grounds.' I'm morbid - I know. We got out and sat on the grass and I had to remind him he wanted to talk. He was like, 'Oh yeah. I almost forgot.' Nerd. So he started talking about our first date and the first time he knew he wanted to be with me and the things he loved about me. Then he started talking about ho...

Runner Without Shoes

So...I recently came to a realization about myself. I...I am a runner. No, I don't own any fancy running shoes - in fact, I run better in my regular, every day shoes. No, I haven't spent an unreasonable amount on running clothes to reduce friction and help me run faster - in fact, I run better in my regular, every day clothes. I didn't buy an Ipod and Earbuds to run with - I can run without music. I never pictured myself as a runner. Most people I know wouldn't say they picture me as a runner. But I am definitely a runner. I run - I run from men. I run from commitment. I run from stable, promising relationships. As soon as they make 'the move' or we have 'the talk' - I bolt. I thought for sure this time would be different. But it appears I am getting too good at running...too used to it. Maybe subconsciously I get some sort of satisfaction...a 'runners high', if you will. It doesn't really matter why I run ... I just do. And I have to find ...